Mrsa-ing Along Without Much Mercy


 I swear I need to do the above because I sleep off to the side almost to the edge on my side and my husband sleeps like he's battling a drunk octopus while trying to don a tight girdle! If I don't get to sleep first I might as well give up, or go sleep in the guest room because there's no sleep until he falls asleep.

Since the cancer diagnosis there's not been as much sleep on either side, his or mine. We got some rather bad news this week. He has mrsa. The infected spots on the legs have gone haywire, and now he's the one getting scraped and squeezed at the clinic, not I.

Freaked out when they confirmed it was mrsa and went straight into crazy mrsa protocol that my old infectious disease doctor drilled into me 8 years ago during my long bout fighting it. Clorox wipes wiping down every single thing from light switches to knobs to remote controls to you name it you might have touched. Our laundry is separated out, I'm blasting the hell out of his clothing, towels, etc with various types of laundry sanitizers.

He's oozing blood and pus too. So I have to pre treat sheets and his underwear. Tried to get him to wear a pad on the extreme upper thigh infected spot, but apparently manly men refuse to wear pads to catch their bleeding and ooze. Which all makes me wonder what he's going to be like when the treatments start in January.

Right now they are doing the pre op clearance between the visits to treat the mrsa. Next step is seeing a cardiologist to clear Jim for treatment and more mrsa killing. The mrsa has to be gone before treatment because on the table right now is surgery followed by chemo and radiation. I was hoping it was going to be the radioactive seeding only as I'm not liking the idea of a man who is never sick, who whines dreadfully when he gets a mere paper cut who is likely to be undergoing three seriously uncomfortable treatments at once. 

Chemo is something they used to give me after the mastocytosis diagnosis to try and stem the asthma. It made hair and toenails pop off, left me feeling like exhausted crud unable to get off the sofa, laying there too exhausted to crochet or concentrate on the detritus that is daytime television. I wish that on no one.

We're still dealing with the fallout of the threats to strip Jim from the church board by the toxic twins pastors. Jim's at a meeting this very morning with the more reasonable of the pastors. I'm getting the sense now that they aren't going to boot him from the board, this is all ridiculous posturing and absurdist theater, a sort of weird virtue signaling among the group. Better him than I as I have exactly zero patience for this stuff and would have already skipped off flying double birds at this bunch.

Tonight more theater of the absurdist as we've been roped into attending what promises to be some sort of substandard dinner theater experience revolving around Christmas as imagined by the church secretary. The only good thing will be hanging out with friends.

Oh joy! Can you tell I'm in an extremely sarcastic mood today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Ancient History With a Crystal Ball