When Your Faith Walks on Broken Glass
What a horrid last few days! Friday night we went to see a local little dinner theater production. Christmas in a place that never feels like Christmas. I went because I figured I needed to make an appearance around Jim's ridiculous church friends. I had my game face on, I knew the production would be goopy, gooy, sentimentalism, I was prepared for that. I knew the person making the meals and figured it would be just okay. I just didn't count on it being tamales steamed in palm leaves, arriving smoking with palm leaf fumes. Instant asthma. Very allergic to palm leaves. Here usually they are steamed in banana leaves, not palm leaves. I ate nothing more than two spoonfuls of the dessert, which was cloyingly sweet I could barely choke it down. No matter, Inhaler, drugs and the beat goes on.
This is what happens when you make an allergic to food claim too, many many times! Sometimes it involves someone dosing you with your allergen to see if you are actually allergic to that food!
The program was much better than expected, even if I thought the acting skills of one of the adults were questionable at best. A few very talented singers, I got to hear most of my favorite Christmas songs at least. By the time the drugs eased it enough to push down the panic I enjoyed it. Imagine that! Something positive in the midst of the not positive.
Saturday morning we'd discovered that our gate had suddenly stopped responding to the remotes and yesterday we left the gate open all day long. Which isn't a problem except for the street sellers viewing this as a 'come right on in and steal!' We even managed to run out for a quick cat food run, locking up the house and the guesthouse.
I've been trying to get Jim to put an actual door with a lock on the alleyway behind the guesthouse to stop the kinds of petty thefts we sometimes get when the gate is open. Just once or twice in seven years this has happened. However, since the start of Covid we've seen a steady increase in petty crimes of opportunity here.
Once the bats flew out for their nightly ballet over our heads Jim left for his crazy ass church's Saturday night all Spanish service with a good friend of mine. I have to say I do not get Jim's plunge into the cracked out hateful world of non-denomination, making it up as they go along, more drama and trouble toxic church with those twin pastors. That threat a few weeks ago of kicking him off the board hasn't happened and he hasn't given up his stance that war is terrible and no more children or women should die on either side. So they are bullying cowards on top of their other bad behaviors.
After leaving Jim left the gates wide open. I do like I always do when the gates are open, station myself either at my computer in the front bedroom window or in the living room in direct line of sight of the gates. Around 8 pm I started to see two paltry cell phone lights on the property, moving closer and closer to the house. Let me just state there aren't a lot of street lights and few of our outside lights were on.
Now I was unable to see who it was, but I knew it was not Jim or my friend. Picked up the machete and turned on my cell phone flashlight and proceed to saltily sally out to confront them, proclaiming that idle threat that I was calling the Policia. They ran! Not enough time to steal anything yet because I confronted them quickly.

Comments