How?
I admit I am puzzled. The last few days we've been around other Americans here. The thing I am puzzling over is the extreme love of Donald Trump among white Christian Americans here. It just makes no sense to me at all.
Saturday night we went out. Jim tricked me, when he first started talking about going out I thought he'd mentioned Mary, who I adore and would go anywhere with. One of the most fun days I've had in ages was a recent day when we hit all of the places you can get canvases and other art supplies. That and Schnecken. I would do many things for Schnecken.
But Jim was not, he was talking about two different couples we know that are always inviting us out. I'm indifferent at best towards both couples. Both are retirees, and I call the couples mentally the Yoghurts and the Hummis. Both women have very unusual first names, one that are the same as one yoghurt company and the other lady's name is a hummis company. Most odd. The guys have standard white American middle class first names.
The drag is a) I know the toxic churches stateside both come from, both churches currently embroiled in sex scandals. b)they are super hard cord Republicans that adore the doofus that is our president. For people that yammer on about what super Christians they are I cannot figure out how they manage to rationalize their support of a president that embodies just about the opposite of Christ in every way.
I wished I had tequila to drink as they told Jim he was wrong about how much Trump weighs and a discussion over who is and who isn't a serious Christian at church. I have to agree with Jim, there is just no way in hell that Trump weighs his publicized weight from his last physical. He has to be pushing 280 to 300 pounds at the very least.
But it was the discussion about who was and wasn't a 'strong believer' that really was off-putting. I have learned through the years, even with people I talk about at NLQ, never to presume that someone is or isn't a believer. Only heaven knows, certainly not us. People are all different, express themselves differently, but I try to treat people the same. Even when they are irking the crap out of me by praising Trump. Jim's good at smiling and nodding when disagreeing. I am not so good at it. But I do manage not to rant and spew like I was aching to do. Again, I cannot wrap my brain around Evangelical love of Trump. It does not compute. It makes my brain overheat.
If you see me out in public and I'm not smiling, not talking and I'm subtly jerking my chin upwards I'm either extremely bored or extremely irked by the company.
Today wasn't a whole lot better in the social event after church. Jim sat with the Yoghurts and Hummis, while I sat at the next table with actual friends I enjoy. Even the Mississippi Millionaire.
These things are always a trial for me. Since the stroke I'm like someone stripped al the insulation off my internal wires. I'm not outgoing. I only have a small amount of tolerance for 'peopling'. I have no patience for Trump supporters. I tend to get quieter and quieter and quieter until I can get Jim to leave.
I am enjoying church. The pastor is one of the most humble and interesting people I've run across in a long long time. I like his family. I like a lot of the people there. But somethings are always the same, no matter where you go, I've already seen a rather stupid church split over the haves and have nots. I've seen people get angry and leave because they are not allowed to control things in their way. Part of me is now wondering how long it will be before the Trump supporters get mad at something and stomp off. I don't have the heart to point out to them by coming here on a tourist visa and staying they are the illegal immigrants here, while they're ranting and carrying on about the Central Americans going to the U.S.A.
Saturday night we went out. Jim tricked me, when he first started talking about going out I thought he'd mentioned Mary, who I adore and would go anywhere with. One of the most fun days I've had in ages was a recent day when we hit all of the places you can get canvases and other art supplies. That and Schnecken. I would do many things for Schnecken.
But Jim was not, he was talking about two different couples we know that are always inviting us out. I'm indifferent at best towards both couples. Both are retirees, and I call the couples mentally the Yoghurts and the Hummis. Both women have very unusual first names, one that are the same as one yoghurt company and the other lady's name is a hummis company. Most odd. The guys have standard white American middle class first names.
The drag is a) I know the toxic churches stateside both come from, both churches currently embroiled in sex scandals. b)they are super hard cord Republicans that adore the doofus that is our president. For people that yammer on about what super Christians they are I cannot figure out how they manage to rationalize their support of a president that embodies just about the opposite of Christ in every way.
I wished I had tequila to drink as they told Jim he was wrong about how much Trump weighs and a discussion over who is and who isn't a serious Christian at church. I have to agree with Jim, there is just no way in hell that Trump weighs his publicized weight from his last physical. He has to be pushing 280 to 300 pounds at the very least.
But it was the discussion about who was and wasn't a 'strong believer' that really was off-putting. I have learned through the years, even with people I talk about at NLQ, never to presume that someone is or isn't a believer. Only heaven knows, certainly not us. People are all different, express themselves differently, but I try to treat people the same. Even when they are irking the crap out of me by praising Trump. Jim's good at smiling and nodding when disagreeing. I am not so good at it. But I do manage not to rant and spew like I was aching to do. Again, I cannot wrap my brain around Evangelical love of Trump. It does not compute. It makes my brain overheat.
If you see me out in public and I'm not smiling, not talking and I'm subtly jerking my chin upwards I'm either extremely bored or extremely irked by the company.
Today wasn't a whole lot better in the social event after church. Jim sat with the Yoghurts and Hummis, while I sat at the next table with actual friends I enjoy. Even the Mississippi Millionaire.
These things are always a trial for me. Since the stroke I'm like someone stripped al the insulation off my internal wires. I'm not outgoing. I only have a small amount of tolerance for 'peopling'. I have no patience for Trump supporters. I tend to get quieter and quieter and quieter until I can get Jim to leave.
I am enjoying church. The pastor is one of the most humble and interesting people I've run across in a long long time. I like his family. I like a lot of the people there. But somethings are always the same, no matter where you go, I've already seen a rather stupid church split over the haves and have nots. I've seen people get angry and leave because they are not allowed to control things in their way. Part of me is now wondering how long it will be before the Trump supporters get mad at something and stomp off. I don't have the heart to point out to them by coming here on a tourist visa and staying they are the illegal immigrants here, while they're ranting and carrying on about the Central Americans going to the U.S.A.
Comments