Sweating For This Oldie

Yesterday I did very little. The aftermath of Satan's Tic Tacs and no sleep the night before. By 9 pm I was snoozing in an awkward position avoiding squishing Stinky our cat, Jim was flopped across the bottom of the bed snoozing  and falling asleep petting Stinky. Of course Stinky managed to somehow be in the middle of our king sized bed snoozing.

Everyone was up bright and early. I had NLQ up by 7 am my time, laundry done by 8 am, another section of my new quilt finished by 10 am and in the pool to swim by 11 am, Where it all started to unravel was the pool. It's the January windy season, meaning no matter how thoroughly I clean the pool the minute the wind blows hard I'm swimming in a sea of pollen yet again. Just like the day before it made for a super short swim followed by a quick shower to rinse off the oodles of pollen and taking Satan's Other Tic Tacs (my allergy drugs)

Just about the time I started to put together a casual lunch at noon I heard a sudden loud 'Pop!' and the power died. The power company has been better in the last year, usually the outages are under an hour, or just a few minutes. None of those 2 or 3 day outages we experienced when we first moved to the Tamarindo area.

Not so lucky today. We both sat outside, under our large covered patio and read for a few hours. I took another dip in the pool and another rinse off before it was time to head into town for a meeting. We're helping out with a community fundraiser bingo in a few weeks to raise money for a sister community in Nicaragua. The power was on in Tama when we got there, the outage just seemed to be our little flat plains down to the national seashore park. But we'd been there about twenty minutes when the lights in Tama went down.

On the drive home from the meeting we saw what happened. The high winds popped a power line along that one lone road into Tama. An un-insulated power line down that has set vegetation along a ditch on fire. Thank God it wasn't later in dry season or it could have burned a huge area. Not all of the power lines in Guanacaste are insulated. The older ones are not. We, unfortunately, see howler monkeys routinely electrocuted on the lines with no insulation.

The Bombas (fire dept) was there along with the power company.We still didn't have power when we got home. An afternoon spent in the pool and reading on the covered patio. I even made up bedding on the chaise lounges, telling Jim if the power was still out at bedtime I was sleeping on the patio. Candles, darkness and a full moon.

And then the power came back on about an hour ago! Ah sweet sweet air conditioning~! Hot water for a shower~ You never realize just how much you depend on electricity and modern conveniences until it goes out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Ancient History With a Crystal Ball