The First Fulminated Fightin' Jesus Platoon

 

No lovely view of Costa Rica today, just Jesus tinged bbq flavored political confusion.

It's been quite the few days, and no, Cissy is not involved. She's only spamming us about some games party we're all supposed to attend tonight. I'm still undecided if I will even attend because its being thrown by someone I don't know and I'm unsure how many people will be there from the plague ratting church of non maskers in a country marked Level Four - Do Not Travel by the U.S. State Dept. Decisions, decisions!

No, on Thursday Jim and Buddy slammed up against a cold hard reality at our old church. They attended that circle jerk of end times paranoia known as the men's Bible study.

I figured something hadn't gone well when Jim and Buddy arrived back at the house within about a half hour. Boy, did something not go well! What? Joe Biden and Covid vaccinations. Add in that day's announcement by the Costa Rican government.

Just that morning the CR government announced that as of December 1, 2021 you must be vaccinated, have that valid vaccine card to go into stores and many other places where people gather and transact business. They aren't kidding, and they are taking extreme measures to end that Level Four Do Not Travel tag. Just like the spice must flow on Arakkas so too must the tourist dollars flow in here.

On my recent beach walks in Tamarindo I've had conversations with local vendors I know that say they are barely hanging on waiting for tourist high season to resume. Even though CR was fully open to tourists at the beginning of last year's tourist high season Americans and Brits have not come flooding back. 

Hee, I've been here so long now I get recognized by the beach vendors instead of endlessly pestered to by pottery, necklaces or cold coconuts. It's good because now many are real with me. When I ask them how they're doing, they'll drop the fake smile and tell me. I prefer it that way, even when the news is as bad as it has been lately.

In fact the few Americans here are what I would call the traditional non-tourist type. They come because you will never find cheaper rates, they are sick of being home on that Covid cornteen (quarantine) and they argue about the high prices for food and souvenirs. Bargain hunters, K Mart Blue Light shoppers, folks that have never left the States before and are acting like everyone's nightmare image of the Ugly American. I passed one gentleman attired like the photo up top yelling at the staff of the Waffle Monkey for charging 12 bucks for a waffle, not understanding that they are huge waffles filled with the stuff of your dreams, or my low sugar nightmares and desires. 

So the anti vaxxing contingent at the old church are losing it. It's a communist plot, they are screeching, not understanding that this is what good responsible governments do. They look at the economic and physical health of their people and take feasible actions. It's responsible and actually caring for their citizens.

This group is outraged that they'll be unable to go buy tee shirts, trusses and tacos without proof of vaccine. That's the breaks. I find their shock and threats amusing because Costa Rica has always had a 100% vaccination policy for children, the point where they've deported a number of good fundamentalist homeschooling unvaccinated squatter families for the twin sins of homeschooling and refusing to vaccinate their children.

Many of them are threatening to stomp off to 'Merika if this is enforced, which I would say has a 50/50 chance only of being enforced. CR is great about passing laws, but not good about enforcing them.

See, and here's the thing. If you don't like the rules a foreign country you are illegally squatting in (and if you're not taking active action to be a resident, like we have and are doing then you are an illegal squatter! Think about that the next time you rant about illegal aliens in the U.S.), then move your biscuits on down the road to some other country that is doing it your way, or go home to the States! Not a resident or a citizen? You literally have no say in how things are run, not even if you are a gringo with big cheddar. That's only going to get you so far.

All the ones at the group on Thursday were busy scaring Jim and Buddy with tales of possessing enough fire arms in the States to set off another Civil War. Which is exactly what most of them were talking about doing in great excitement. Armed to the teeth and taking out every liberal they see right up to Joe Biden. These good Christian (self described) men are eager to shed blood in the good old U.S. of A. for Jesus, mom, baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. 

Speaking of hot dogs and apple pie I am looking at this particular bunch of guys knowing they could not even beat anyone else in a potato sack race much less armed conflict. One is built like Fred Flintstone if he had a bigger gut. The only battle he's fought in is that terrible conflict at Cracker Barrel, the one where you have to figure out how to cut the line and figure out what to eat. The others are no different, the only guns they've handled for a hot minute are pricing guns and water pistols.

I'm not so worried about these guys starting off Civil War 2.0 Electric Jesus Boogaloo, but I am worried about the thousands of other Bible loving gun humping nutballs who may be less inept. Another good reason to stay here. Costa Rica is not about to allow any of them to have weapons here, guns are rare.

Their other new conspiracy theory involves Nicaragua arming to the teeth, and crossing the border into Costa Rica. A Nicaragua armed and goaded on by Joe Biden. It has the virtue of being a conspiracy theory I've not hear before at least, but an unlikely on. Why unlikely? Because Nica is a super poor nation where there is widespread poverty. If they got their hands on weapons they'd take to robbery at the grocery store. Food first, nation taking later.




Two most common modes of transportation in Nicaragua, horse drawn carts and chicken buses, older U.S. school buses repainted in garish colors you can ride in for very little. It's a nation without much in the way of resources living in a far past society. They aren't massing on the border, except to sell you something.

Outside the Nicaragua border crossing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids