Haves, Have a Lots and Have Nots & the Church
Yesterday Jim went for his twice weekly physical theraphy session with Maggie, and it went weird.
I stayed home because I had the proverbial thousand things to do, from cleaning the fridge to my obessional towel and sheet rotation and washing. Monday's are a busy day for me, the day I do the majority of the cleaning so I can loaf around with my sewing machine and other art mediums for the week.
Heaven forfend my towels don't get changed out on Monday! LOL Jim is so casual about it all and I am not. Jim would gladly use the same old crusty towel for six months. I learned this anew when I flew to Costa Rica and spent those three months in the plastic paneled room in the garage. I asked the landlady for hand towels and washclothes only to find out she didn't know what they were. It never dawned on Jim that there weren't the right kinds of towels and no top sheets in our room.
Rather than make a scene I bought two handtowels and whipped out my crochet yarn and quickly made four spa clothes to use as washclothes.
I have learned after many years that my ADD does better when I have routines.
Jim said that Maggie insisted he buy more pt sessions upfront because she could not make her rent. He had been about to stop because it had stopped helping his ankle and back after the first three sessions. In fact, it looks like now he's having issues with sciatica after the last treatment. Pinched nerve.
But Maggie started crying about being a hundred and fifty bucks short on rent. She then went on to rant rather bitterly about the rich people in our church, and how she cannot believe none of them will help her. Which led to another discussion about money, class and status.
I had to gently point out to Jim afterwards that I think he did the right thing getting two more sessions so she and her son (named for a Norse god) will not be tossed out on their ears, that it is dangerous to start listening to gossip about anyone at church. We don't know if people at the church have been helping Maggie and gotten burned out. Or have they ignored her.
Had to point to our own crazy users that burned out our help at our old church. Could be Maggie's problems go way beyond what she shared with him.
We are not rich. We are comfortable.
Yes, there are some very wealthy people at our church, but I know nothing more than that. I mind my own business.
Which is why I was somewhere surprised by Maggie's complaining about selfish rich people she thinks should be supporting her.
Jim has decided to try and get her help. He's meeting with our pastor in a few days, and we've already made contact with people we have volunteered in their ministries to the poor.
While I agree with Jim that she needs help, I fear the story is deeper, more complex and involves her burning out all help. We shall see.
Not sure why she's not working many hours as she is a licensed physio.
I stayed home because I had the proverbial thousand things to do, from cleaning the fridge to my obessional towel and sheet rotation and washing. Monday's are a busy day for me, the day I do the majority of the cleaning so I can loaf around with my sewing machine and other art mediums for the week.
Heaven forfend my towels don't get changed out on Monday! LOL Jim is so casual about it all and I am not. Jim would gladly use the same old crusty towel for six months. I learned this anew when I flew to Costa Rica and spent those three months in the plastic paneled room in the garage. I asked the landlady for hand towels and washclothes only to find out she didn't know what they were. It never dawned on Jim that there weren't the right kinds of towels and no top sheets in our room.
Rather than make a scene I bought two handtowels and whipped out my crochet yarn and quickly made four spa clothes to use as washclothes.
I have learned after many years that my ADD does better when I have routines.
Jim said that Maggie insisted he buy more pt sessions upfront because she could not make her rent. He had been about to stop because it had stopped helping his ankle and back after the first three sessions. In fact, it looks like now he's having issues with sciatica after the last treatment. Pinched nerve.
But Maggie started crying about being a hundred and fifty bucks short on rent. She then went on to rant rather bitterly about the rich people in our church, and how she cannot believe none of them will help her. Which led to another discussion about money, class and status.
I had to gently point out to Jim afterwards that I think he did the right thing getting two more sessions so she and her son (named for a Norse god) will not be tossed out on their ears, that it is dangerous to start listening to gossip about anyone at church. We don't know if people at the church have been helping Maggie and gotten burned out. Or have they ignored her.
Had to point to our own crazy users that burned out our help at our old church. Could be Maggie's problems go way beyond what she shared with him.
We are not rich. We are comfortable.
Yes, there are some very wealthy people at our church, but I know nothing more than that. I mind my own business.
Which is why I was somewhere surprised by Maggie's complaining about selfish rich people she thinks should be supporting her.
Jim has decided to try and get her help. He's meeting with our pastor in a few days, and we've already made contact with people we have volunteered in their ministries to the poor.
While I agree with Jim that she needs help, I fear the story is deeper, more complex and involves her burning out all help. We shall see.
Not sure why she's not working many hours as she is a licensed physio.
Comments