More Nest Feathering
The security wall to the north and west of our property has finally been properly raised to nearly twenty feet so Jim can skinny dip at night with impunity. Our property is bounded on 3 and 3/4 sides by denada. The neighbors on both sides are on the other side of vacant lots and there's nothing behind us, just one back corner with a small two story apartment building unfortunately overlooking the shallow end of the pool. Not any longer!
The new garage is in, built adjacent to the house instead of up by the front gate a far piece from the house. I really did not want to have to buy a golf cart to get from the garage to the house. In the rainy season that could be a problem, so we've been parking next to the house under the mango trees where the monkeys rain down excrement and half eaten mangos. No more.
Jim and I cannot agree on what to do with the bare slab inside the security fence where the old garage used to sit. I wanted to add a few potted plants and chairs, have an area to sit near the gate since this is where we have to go to catch a decent cell phone signal. Jim wants to use it as parking for the guesthouse.
Just like that set of different ideas on what to do with a concrete slab we're not in complete agreement over the new hot tub either. We agree that it should be built it, tiled to match the pool, square and big enough to hold six to eight people, what we cannot agree on is flush into the ground with the pool or raised. Jim wants flush into the ground and I want raised. We'll likely go with the flush because I'm just not that passionate. I am more concerned with hot water to soak in and a bricked or concreted patio to put my chaise lounges on for sunning.
I want to start repainting the inside but I have a feeling we're going to knock heads on that too. I think Jim just wants to repaint the rooms in the colors they are now, but I'm not wild about that. Our bedroom is a 1970s gold, the living room and kitchen are a shade between orange, yellow and gold, one bedroom is lightest pink, the other lightest green.
Tempted to go with gray, turquiose, white and various blues in the house, but I think there might be a fight over that. I painted the inside of the guestbook the lightest of turquioses and Jim complained about my color choice for a solid month, right up until he saw how the place looked with new paint. I recently overheard him admitting to a friend that he'd been very wrong about the color choice and I'd done a good job. Note that. Getting a man to admit he was wrong is a rarity indeed.
The other issue with paintingis that every room has gorgious custom draperys made just for the house. The one in our room is the same gold so the color has to either coordinate or contrast ina good way. I still think the right shade of turquiose would be lovely with the gold.
Still might go with pure white in the kitchen and living room just because it would make the already large space look even bigger and would be so clean and tropical looking.
This is another one of those things absolutely wonderful about dumping our old religion. We're allowed to spend on fixing up our house without guilt, or the pastor trying to guilt trip us into giving him the money instead. We don't have to agree, but we do have to work it out and we will somewhere in the middle. No crazy manipulation or submission watusi while resenting the other partner. Life is so much nicer outside of that tiny box.
The new garage is in, built adjacent to the house instead of up by the front gate a far piece from the house. I really did not want to have to buy a golf cart to get from the garage to the house. In the rainy season that could be a problem, so we've been parking next to the house under the mango trees where the monkeys rain down excrement and half eaten mangos. No more.
Jim and I cannot agree on what to do with the bare slab inside the security fence where the old garage used to sit. I wanted to add a few potted plants and chairs, have an area to sit near the gate since this is where we have to go to catch a decent cell phone signal. Jim wants to use it as parking for the guesthouse.
Just like that set of different ideas on what to do with a concrete slab we're not in complete agreement over the new hot tub either. We agree that it should be built it, tiled to match the pool, square and big enough to hold six to eight people, what we cannot agree on is flush into the ground with the pool or raised. Jim wants flush into the ground and I want raised. We'll likely go with the flush because I'm just not that passionate. I am more concerned with hot water to soak in and a bricked or concreted patio to put my chaise lounges on for sunning.
I want to start repainting the inside but I have a feeling we're going to knock heads on that too. I think Jim just wants to repaint the rooms in the colors they are now, but I'm not wild about that. Our bedroom is a 1970s gold, the living room and kitchen are a shade between orange, yellow and gold, one bedroom is lightest pink, the other lightest green.
Tempted to go with gray, turquiose, white and various blues in the house, but I think there might be a fight over that. I painted the inside of the guestbook the lightest of turquioses and Jim complained about my color choice for a solid month, right up until he saw how the place looked with new paint. I recently overheard him admitting to a friend that he'd been very wrong about the color choice and I'd done a good job. Note that. Getting a man to admit he was wrong is a rarity indeed.
The other issue with paintingis that every room has gorgious custom draperys made just for the house. The one in our room is the same gold so the color has to either coordinate or contrast ina good way. I still think the right shade of turquiose would be lovely with the gold.
Still might go with pure white in the kitchen and living room just because it would make the already large space look even bigger and would be so clean and tropical looking.
This is another one of those things absolutely wonderful about dumping our old religion. We're allowed to spend on fixing up our house without guilt, or the pastor trying to guilt trip us into giving him the money instead. We don't have to agree, but we do have to work it out and we will somewhere in the middle. No crazy manipulation or submission watusi while resenting the other partner. Life is so much nicer outside of that tiny box.
Comments