Choppa Your Dollah

Today I creeped around with my bad back.Not as bad as the time I threw my back out sneezing or taking off my swimsuit, but close. Spent large chunks of the day laying around glaze-y eyed on muscle relaxers.

The engineer came and looked at the drainage issues and made recommendations. I didn't hear any of them because I was inside dinged out on drugs and pain. Told Jim I didn't care what it took to fix this, human sacrifice or strange and wondrous journeys to retrieve elves or magical rings. Just make it happen. He will. Or not.

When I was lucid, not hopped up on pain pills and not watching my guilty trashy reality show pleasure (hello "Love After Lockup"!) I was toying with a Nigerian Romance Scammer.

Years and years ago, when the internet was shiny and new, and dinosaurs still roamed the earth, and my boobs didn't suffer from gravity yet I had a hobby. A mean but fun hobby. Nigerian scam baiting.

Here's my absolute favorite baiting story from 419eater.com, a tale by Shiver Metimbers called "Busted" Be sure to look at the carvings and masterfully faked documents. A laugh riot! Literally the most fun you can have without spending a dime and doing the world a service.

I still have 32 million dollars in faked checks sent to me by Nigerian scammers. I would need id as one of my baiter names, Sir Ivan P. Frehley, to cash them. Scambaiting in it's most basic form is tying up and wasting the time of an online scammer. You might tell them you're bringing them the cash they are requesting for a business partnership, or to inherit the money of some fake Nigerian prince in Africa, and make them chase the fake you all over the continent while you watch on web cams and laugh. It might involve getting a scammer to get a tattoo or do something utterly ridiculous and send you proof. Pictures please!

The theory behind scam baiting is that the more you can frustrate them, tie them in knots, and force them to waste time chasing you they're leaving some poor innocent alone.

I really enjoyed it for a long time. But it made Jim extremely nervous so I did eventually stop the active baiting.

Then a couple of years ago a new wrinkle appeared and I've been sucked right back in. The Nigerian Facebook Romance Scammer. Once I get near senior citizen hood these men started coming out of the dumb woodwork. I've toyed with them right up until they get banned on Facebook. Fed them lies, gotten a few safaris out of them making them chase me around before booting them.

Today a new one popped up. They always follow the same script, successful retired businessman, or military or doctor. Retiring, widowed and wooking penub (looking for love). The profiles are all the same, a smiling dude without much info, a few photos, a brand new profile. Sometimes they really slip up an put up links to real things, like other Nigerians.

The one I got today made me laugh because it was so completely obvious what he was. His profile said he was from Los Angeles and that he lived in Santa Monica, but if you looked at his employer info and education it was all Nigerian. A timeline holding a palid puling pile of putrid crap on how a good man needs a good woman.

Another big tell is the weirdness of the name. He might have a very American sounding name, but likely it will be slightly off, like added S's or missing a common letter. Close but no cigar.

No friends or all Nigerian friends is another big hint it's a romance scammer.

The stage is set. He's continually pming me now, getting too personal and flirty along with asking when I can retire. I'm feeding him my dumbest fake persona, and am going to wait until he asks for money, because it is coming, the money grab. Then I will make up a fake Western Union confirmation number, feed it to him, feed him false info making him chase that money before moving onto the the funniest baiter bit, coming in as another Nigerian mugu, telling him I have his money, that I've choppa his dollah.

Mean? Maybe just a smidgen. But keep in mind that these are people that take millions off gullible people every day. The single female population over the age of 45 seems to be particularly vulnerable to these guys. Every time I toy with one I think about the fact that I'm preventing him from working over some naive lady somewhere. I think about the scads of lonely women I see on Dr. Phil sending these guys money thinking they are about to get married.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids