Someone Sounds Jealous
While doing my random round of reading Quiverfull blogs this morning I found this on Doug Wilson's blog:
Oh Doug! That is not at all why people decamp to places like Belize and Costa Rica. It's not some sort of silly one-up-man-ship. It's not to show off. It's to have a better quality of life. It's the same reasons why people from poorer countries head to the United States. Likely why your ancestors took a boat from whatever white European country they arrived from.
People want to live where they can be happy, without fear and with enough financial resources to live well. This is why older folks love Florida so much. Of course Doug makes it all about something stupid, trendy and counterculture. People want to be happy. It's as simple as that. I think Doug is just jelly-ousel, ooops, jealous. He's pushing a book about EvanJelly-fish, whatever they are.
Today would not have impressed anyone, or made anyone jealous here. It was pretty miserable. I ran into town to pick up some art supplies, and supplies for fruitcake. It's almost Halloween, time to bake fruitcake and pickle the hell out of it in brandy to have it ready for Christmas.
We're getting towards the end of rainy season here, but there's still a lot of rain. Mucho lluvia. Crazy crazy traffic, it seems almost like tourist season started early this year. Most folks do not arrive before late December or early January, but town was cram packed.
Visited my friend at the art supply store, picked up a few things, bought both brandy and extra candied fruit before attempting a box pickup at the post office. Crazy crowds so I gave up retrieving my Amazon box for another day.
That crazy traffic? Even crazier when I got to the turn for the main road in and out of Tama. As I was waiting to turn at the only intersection in all of Guanacaste that desperately needs a stoplight there was a bad accident right in front of me. Right at the intersection. Traffic backing up even furture. There's just one paved road into Tama, and a couple of dirt backroads in and out. I took a back road.
I'd gone down it the day before to pick up friends for church, wondering how it was because I usually will not take that road in rainy season. It fords a small river. That river isn't always very small in rainy season. But it was fine the day before. You just have to make sure you don't stop at the river, and the road leading down to the river is washed away, crumbling to one lane.
Today was a completely different story. The road was even more crumbling away. At least six times I thanked the celestial powers that be for four wheel drive because I was definitely off road a few times. The river was up, so I had to decide if I should cross there are just slip across twenty feet downriver where it's much more shallow. Shocked how much road damage there was from one simple storm late yesterday.
We are supposed to be getting another one of these doldrums tropical storms late today and into tomorrow with lots of rain. I think I'm going to have to avoid that back road.
I came home and happily started the first rituals of fruitcake making, right down to a nice afternoon nip from the brandy bottle. Half the fun of making fruitcake is drinking the left over brandy.
Oh Doug! That is not at all why people decamp to places like Belize and Costa Rica. It's not some sort of silly one-up-man-ship. It's not to show off. It's to have a better quality of life. It's the same reasons why people from poorer countries head to the United States. Likely why your ancestors took a boat from whatever white European country they arrived from.
People want to live where they can be happy, without fear and with enough financial resources to live well. This is why older folks love Florida so much. Of course Doug makes it all about something stupid, trendy and counterculture. People want to be happy. It's as simple as that. I think Doug is just jelly-ousel, ooops, jealous. He's pushing a book about EvanJelly-fish, whatever they are.
Today would not have impressed anyone, or made anyone jealous here. It was pretty miserable. I ran into town to pick up some art supplies, and supplies for fruitcake. It's almost Halloween, time to bake fruitcake and pickle the hell out of it in brandy to have it ready for Christmas.
We're getting towards the end of rainy season here, but there's still a lot of rain. Mucho lluvia. Crazy crazy traffic, it seems almost like tourist season started early this year. Most folks do not arrive before late December or early January, but town was cram packed.
Visited my friend at the art supply store, picked up a few things, bought both brandy and extra candied fruit before attempting a box pickup at the post office. Crazy crowds so I gave up retrieving my Amazon box for another day.
That crazy traffic? Even crazier when I got to the turn for the main road in and out of Tama. As I was waiting to turn at the only intersection in all of Guanacaste that desperately needs a stoplight there was a bad accident right in front of me. Right at the intersection. Traffic backing up even furture. There's just one paved road into Tama, and a couple of dirt backroads in and out. I took a back road.
I'd gone down it the day before to pick up friends for church, wondering how it was because I usually will not take that road in rainy season. It fords a small river. That river isn't always very small in rainy season. But it was fine the day before. You just have to make sure you don't stop at the river, and the road leading down to the river is washed away, crumbling to one lane.
Today was a completely different story. The road was even more crumbling away. At least six times I thanked the celestial powers that be for four wheel drive because I was definitely off road a few times. The river was up, so I had to decide if I should cross there are just slip across twenty feet downriver where it's much more shallow. Shocked how much road damage there was from one simple storm late yesterday.
We are supposed to be getting another one of these doldrums tropical storms late today and into tomorrow with lots of rain. I think I'm going to have to avoid that back road.
I came home and happily started the first rituals of fruitcake making, right down to a nice afternoon nip from the brandy bottle. Half the fun of making fruitcake is drinking the left over brandy.

Comments