This Time No Bueno
Well we are here, in the Hospital Metropolitano in San Jose, where Jim ended up 18 months ago for his fall and shoulder, and my mini stroke two years ago. I am here and just had to shower wiping off with paper towels.
Yeah, I get it Covid has changed health care. Here pretty drastically. Fewer nurses, my pleas in Spanish and English for a towel never produced one. Earlier in the day when I requested breakfast three times I was ignored. No lunch. When the dietician came around for Jim in the late afternoon I had to insist I got fed too. The security guard was awful to everyone I could see. Very weird compared to our previous experiences here where they provided meals and towels for whoever the spouse was staying without even asking. Now I see a handful of pleasant thoughtful actions and things that are skipped, likely for budgetary reasons.
Thankfully Uber Eats brought me a quick meal at lunch and I had some bananas, cheese and crackers in my bag for a makeshift breakfast. I haven't been hungry once in over a week, since this stomach flu started, but today my stomach woke up and demanded to be fed, like the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" I'm hungry now as I type this but have no desire to traipse down to the candy machine in the lobby in my nightgown. Plus one does not live on Snickers alone.
We've had to wear our masks the entire time we've been here. Supposed to be sprung tomorrow, and I hope I'm okay for the drive. Still had tremendous spins and dizziness yesterday riding here in the car. Jim had to drive the entire way. I have been dizzy and weird all day today but that might just be the starvation. Jim cannot drive tomorrow. One good thing. Getting here was a piece of cake compared to normal. The GSP worked right and we missed no turns. Unusual for San Jose which routinely makes me have a nervous breakdown to drive here.
The surgery went well, but ran long. The screws are out, and the doctor gave them to us. What more can one ask for, right?
Okay, I better get to bed to dream about food, glorious food!
Comments