Busy Days
Santa Cruz advertising the last bullfights before Covid in January 2020.
Yesterday we got news I pretty well knew we'd get. We cannot extend our visas beyond the early March date, so we'll have to leave Costa Rica for somewhere else on this planet via an airplane. We'd been delaying until the last minute for a couple of reasons.
People here made all kinds of claims about filing for exemptions that turned out to be utter codswallop idiocy.
1 - C.R. is notorious for backtracking on their government edicts. They reversed themselves two hours before the drivers license expiration took affect in mid November. I've been watching them doing these silly things since I got here. As stable as a plate of jello sometimes. But they issued word yesterday that this was the law and there would be no exceptions if you weren't hospitalized.
2 - Covid, duhh, I have zero desire to travel during a pandemic and expose my old sick self to strangers cooties on a plane. Even if the airlines are claiming all sorts of de-cootie-fying tactics.
Well C.R. has spoken. They are not opening the land borders until at least April. So it's fly back or pay the fine and possibly affect your residency status. I am in the in progress status again, but I'm about to switch to fully submitted and waiting status again. Hopefully Covid will not screw it up this time.
So I spoke with my lawyer, who tells me that immigration would do de nada if we're a day, a week, a month, several months late leaving. It just invalidates our drivers licenses and plates on our car. Making plans to go back to the States soon, but later than the early March requirement.
Plane tickets bought, hotel reservations made, rental car booked. Set in stone now. Let our housesitter know the dates. Preparing to schedule those Covid spear our brains tests, and our extra health care insurance for C.R. Even if C.R. decides to suspend it all. Going home to New Orleans.
Originally I was preparing to go to Washington D.C., but it didn't quite work out the way I intended. I had a family member there experiencing Covid Derangement Syndrome who kept yelling that no one should be flying anywhere. I tried to explain this was not my idea, and that we have to finish up getting the last few documents to finish filing our residency packet. The same residency packets that got kicked out by Covid. It is just bad luck and a pandemic.
I am planning on double masking on the plane but after talking to my elderly aunts in the area I am not so worried. New Orleans has been apparently been hell on Covid lately, much more so than other parts of the state and the rates are falling there. She's said that the airport, and likely the high end hotel we're staying at (at half price, no less!) are known for Covid cleanliness. I hope so.
One of the things I will be doing besides placing a few mega orders at stores to be delivered to the hotel is going into the office of vital records in New Orleans and getting my last few documents for residency, my birth certificate and our wedding license with the international Apostile stamp on it. After that it's just waiting for the updated FBI records to come back on us and we're officially filed! And will never have to leave again for any reason.
I plan on seeing family, from a safe distance, except for my daughter that lives in the area. She's have both shots of her Covid vaccination, so we're going to hang out. I'll buy her dinner at the excellent restaurant connected to the hotel and we'll hot tub! I am excited! Very glad we're able to take a few days to go back and get Jim's underwear, LOL. A few weeks ago I started to order him new undies and on Amazon for a 5 pack it was only like 12 bucks but import taxes ran it up to 44 bucks more. Hell, even an extra suitcase on the flight isn't going to run that much~ This is going to be interesting trying to do one of my usual mega shops with Covid stuff in place.

Comments