Finally Final Furniture

 This week has been filled with going back and forth to a friends house with some of their furniture. So many people get here, stay a while, put down roots, hit that 2 year mark and decamp. Some little minor thing just pisses them off and they leave. Which is why I'm talking and writing about it now. Have you seen my YouTube videos about moving to Costa Rica yet?

Sadly this is getting ever more common. The pandemic has pushed more expats out, and many marriages I know have not survived. I know people who've lost their damn minds during the pandemic, imploded their marriages and decamped. Even a few that have lost everything due to scary new habits like drug abuse, gambling and day trading. Actually, the day trading and the gambling seem to be the exact same thing here. I know someone that lost literally millions to the day trading, going back to work in his 60s. A fool and his money, or lack thereof. Yes, the casinos are still open during a pandemic. Times like these bring out the best and the worst in people.

When people move from here they tend to dump anything that does not fit in a suitcase, like their home furnishings. Shipping here and back is a mess, as you well know if you read here regularly. I only lost a small handful of things in my first shipment, but the second one went haywire and I lost a lot. Shrugs, but I learned they are only things.

It's always a great opportunity to get stuff for little. Not little compared to second hand stuff in the States. Even second hand here costs more. But I'm pleased because for under three hundred bucks I got a complete set of bedroom furniture and some end tables and a chest.



 Just a few of the pieces of what we picked up. All some sort of light colored, light feeling wood from Ecuador and Guatamala with carving in the wood. These pieces are just as we placed them in the sewing room, before I attacked with a set of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (great for cleaning unvarnished wood!) and a boatload of lemon oil, my secret weapon.

Our house came furnished, but the other bedrooms came only with a bed. The sewing room was literally the last room to be furnished here. I had my sewing machine on literally a tv tray, and one old night stand next to the bed. Now it's fully furnished.

I love my sewing room, and I know I'm not the only one. When my youngest daughter comes to visit she holes up in this room, even if she's sleeping in the guesthouse. The bed has her childhood quilt and the purple afghan I made for her when she was in elementary school. She curls up on the bed with our cats and snuggles for hours on end. It's a small, cheerful, happy room. Now it's much more so~ 

My quilts and quilts in progress are on the shelving, my sewing machine sits on the nightstand and my quilting fabrics and supplies are organized in the dresser drawers, freeing up the closet for use by guests. Nice enough to stash another guest in here, which we will need to do next month as I have a close friend with multiple children coming to visit. It will take the guest house and all our guest bedrooms to accommodate everyone. 

When cleaning the furniture I discovered that the teenage girl whose furniture this is had doodled on the bottom shelf of the shelving unit. I love, love, love it~ and will not be painting over it, or sanding it off. Gives it character and fits in a room where I paint, craft and quilt. I always say I love art by friends. I might just finish up this so that it covers the entire bottom shelf.

This completes all the furnishings we need here, at least until something breaks.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids