As Seen On Investigation Discovery
Sunset over Pan de Sucre Playa a few weeks ago. Perhaps it should be a bloody corpse instead.
I have had my hands full today. Printing our airline tickets and Covid test results, laundry, packing, making a list of instructions for the house sitter on feeding the cats. Around 1 pm today I discovered that the government of Costa Rica has said we don't need to leave, right on the day they were kicking us all out. I had some choice curse words to howl until I read that to stay you'd have to do some of the many steps we did to fly out, Covid tests, Covid insurance, along with file a form and pay a fee to a certain agency in order to stay until my birthday June 2nd.
We'd still going, but this is so typical for Costa Rica! They tend to do this, issue harsh deadlines during Covid, then turn around and undo it. Sorry, guys, we were just joking! I delayed my ticket purchase until Friday, mere days before the flight because I figured they would do this, just like they have with every other deadline connected to the Covid lockdown. At least our drivers licenses will not be automatically invalidated tomorrow.
Jim is starting to concern me. Why? Well, he's having some issues with friends, friends in the States, friends here, all splitting with their wives of many years. His closest friend, from elementary school is acting all secret squirrel, making hurried crazy phone calls to Jim, so weird that Jim was thinking about delaying his return to Costa Rica just to go up and see his friend. I tried to talk him out of it. The man's wife is doing things like she has a keystroke collector on his computer and some program that lets her listen to all of his phone calls. He hasn't told her yet he's leaving. Hence the secret squirrel phone calls in almost code.
I'm sure she knows something is coming, told Jim this, and told him to stay out of it. Stay the hell out of it from far far away. Listen to his friend, but do not engage, don't rush up there, don't show up to 'help' because some of what's coming out about the wife's spying on the husband. I smell crazy, with potential to be even crazier. I had to tell Jim I did not want to turn on the tv and see them saying something like "Two men have been found headless behind a dumpster in Lansing, Michigan today..." or the whole lot of us wind up on Investigation Discovery in "Wives With Knives" or other true crime show.
I don't have any clue why his wife is acting like this. I've known her for thirty years, known the marriage had it's bumps, like all marriages do. I just cannot fathom why she's engaging in electronic spying. It's not like he has any money, hell they lost everything in 2009 during the housing crash and had to file for bankruptcy. It's taken them a number of years just to buy a house again. This strikes me as a very dangerous situation.
I swear, just when you think you know someone.
Comments