Somebody That I Used to Know

 

A recent resting place at the beach, me, cane and cheap rubber sandals. Bliss.

Sadly the last few days haven't been blissful. I still cannot reach my mother. We spent the morning getting our Covid tests, that unique brain tickling with a cotton swab. This evening as we watched our friend sing at Walter's Fish and Cheeses in Langosta Beach we had a fender bender in the parking lot. Our car got the worst of it. It's dark, there's crazy road construction and Jim backed into someone's car. Knocked off a protruding turn signal. They were demanding two hundred in cash, in American dollars only, but settled for 30 colones, roughly 60 bucks. I don't doubt it is enough to cover the cracked turn signal, but they're making noises that it's going to cost more.

This is why I don't like going out after dark here. The streetlights situation are mostly nonexistent in Costa Rica. Here in Tama everyone's crazy driving goes up a few more crazy notches when you add guaro and partying to the mix. I've come so close to running over people just jumping into the streets. People will step off the curb without looking in the darkest unlit night. Tonight we saw no less than three motorcycles after dark with zero lights. 

It was an interesting night in that I saw a number of people I used to know from church, who have now departed. We had some conversations. I think it's going to be next to impossible to bring back the old church now. 

Once we settled the fender bender and headed home the moon appeared. I've  not see it that bright, big and low in sky in ages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids