In Which I Realize I've Been Unfair
Yeah, we did this again - the infamous 90 day border run to Nicaragua. I was on tenterhooks the entire time because I was a week past visa expiration date. They could have hit me with a small fine, or told me to stay out two weeks before I could return, but in the end my anxiety was for nothing. It was rather anti climatic, if not slightly more expensive - fees have gone up to a total of $56 dollars for two people.
I had the sweetest Nica man helping me navigate the border in a pedicab. One of my closest friends in the States asked me if I felt that using a human powered transportation was demeaning to the guy peddling, the ultimate in white privilege. I had to point out while I could have made the walk I decided this was the best way to get a decent sum into the hands of the cab driver. Nicaraguans are in dire straights. Between the heavy handed dictator in power and some of the violence much of the tourist traffic has dried up. The middle class is gone, all the doctors, lawyers and nurses vamoosed during the initial violence almost four years ago. Jobs are hard to come by. So if I can get money into the hands of just a few of them it's a good thing.
This hasn't helped:
Here it has just been a multi day rain event typical of this time of the year. I have been watching the footage of the damage in Nicaragua and other places. Saw this morning about a mudslide in Venezuela that has killed 20 that's been attributed to Julia. Fewer places in South and Central America are really prepared for natural disasters and devastation like this.
Yesterday I went with Jim to a potluck at his church. Now this is the same church I've struggled with after leaving the church right in our own community. This church's pastor said he would prioritize my disability accommodation over people just randomly bringing their fuzzy dogs to church, then pretended he didn't say that. Well apparently this week he did. For whatever reason. I knew the potluck would be a fuzzy dog free zone and quite safe.
I had no sooner picked up my plate and poured my coffee than Mary Moonbeams appeared to ask about my health. I had to explain how asking Jim every single week about my health issues was making him super uncomfortable. She apologized, and we ended up having a very pleasant long conversation. Perhaps I've been a bit hard on her. Granted she was beyond awful during that party three or more years ago, but everyone has bad days. She still has some odd ideas about food, and is a twee wee bit delusional, but we all have our own weirdness myself included.
Will I be returning to church? Hmm. Ask again, Magic 8 Ball says "Answer unclear". I think I will sit back and make sure the no dogs in church rule is enforced before I return.


Comments