Itchy, Scratchy and Discombobulated

 

Sunset over Playa Junquillal in Guanacaste. Lots of clouds because I took this during rainy season.

Yesterday was sort of another goat rodeo day. I got up, drank coffee and perused the internet per usual before doing the other thing I do twice or thrice a week, get into the pool for some swimming, water aerobics and a touch of water yoga. Usual stuff, right?

Gorgeous day, not a cloud in the sky, very unusual in this time of the year. October can be an endless parade of raining all the time. Happy to be swimming, swam for an extra long time.

It didn't go haywire until I got out of the pool. I got out and discovered that the water was off. In Dry Season it is not uncommon to be without water for six hours or so while they fix the million and one leaks in the system. Costa Rica, construction, roads, houses are sometimes sort of slap-dashed together and these leaks happen. Usually the Asada (water company) sends us an email before they cut the water, unless an emergency has happened and someone's pipes are spewing gallons, like the month we got the 900 dollar water bill and never saw a drop leaking out. We had an underground leak leaching right into the soil.

I was pretty annoyed because I had places to go, people to see, and I learned right before the pandemic that I am very allergic to the pool chemicals. I have to shower immediately after getting out and coat myself with something like cocoa butter. The water didn't come back on so a grumbling me got dressed without that shower, piling the wet hair on the top of my head and going. What choice did I have?

Much wheezing happened and a skin rash popped up on my unwashed skin. All while running to the bank, running to get fruits and veggies, and finally, running to the local co-op to make a final decision between a table with a white faux marble top, or buying a kitchen island with a light gray granite top. Hands down once we saw both we ended up buying the island and paying the delivery guys the munificent sum of 26 bucks. Nothing.

Got the island home and put it immediately in the kitchen after moving my filled china cabinet out of the way along with all of the living room furniture. I warned Jim about the china cabinet filled with my blue and white china collection, not to push it from the top because the top was separate from the bottom.

Yeah this! 

Since I was wheezing and crazy I went to lay down and huff on my nebulizer. Suddenly I hear this terrible CRASH. Rushed into the kitchen and started wailing. No one paid what I'd said any mind, tried to move it from the unsecured top and the whole damn thing started to fall.

After I pulled myself together enough to see without tears I discovered it was around about a half dozen plates and my Lomosov porcelain is now gone save for one cup and saucer. The Lomosov is easily replaceable. Some of the other plates not so much. It was huge blow to me because I've been collecting for years. On the good side I had a large plastic container with the parts of my collection that were duplicates, or not as valuable. Cabinet full again now. I have all the broken pieces in another crate. I'm going to use them to tile a small table. Another project.

I went to bed early last night, exhausted by my day, finally able to wash off the chemicals. Got up this morning to a huge mess with my insurance company refusing to reimburse me for my Feb 2022 hospital adventure. This is the third time. Their reason this time? The ambulance report does not state that they took me from Huacus to Liberia. They know the hospital is in Liberia. It's on the ambulance report that the clinic is in Huacus and the name of the hospital, just not the city. It took me about 2 and a half hours on the phone today. To add insult to grievous injury they managed to bollox up my Costa Rica mailing address. The computer decided that the Tamarindo postal code is actually for Des Moine, Iowa. That's still not straightened out, I have to call Monday. Not sure exactly how it happened considering they've had the correct foreign address for ages and used to send out EOBs. I ran out of energy and fucks by noon. Sadly I had to run around from pharmacy to pharmacy trying to find my asthma drug, I only have four vials left now. Have to run around tomorrow to see if anyone got a shipment in.

Tonight I did that very fun thing I do once a year or so. Cashed in all the points on my credit card I use for Amazon on a tall pile of Moda pre cuts, some layer cakes, some jelly rolls and some Charm packs. I swear I am so so tempted to open a Moda fabric shop here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids