Hidden Crocodiles and Stumps in the Water
Jim on the estuary at sunset. Sun reflecting on the trees and the crocodiles and tree stumps hidden to trip you up if you don't know what you're doing. Like I rarely know what I am doing.
I am seriously ashamed of myself today. We went to bingo last night at the surf and yacht club with the usual gang. It's the last time we'll all be together because two of the couples are returning to the States for good. One because they've experienced the dark side of the Pura Vida via a home invasion, another because they have apparently bought into some sort of sea cruise travel pyramid scheme that they think will earn them a zillion bucks back in the States.
Before we even left I knew I was taking my chances. It was a high nerve pain day and I skipped the the extra dose of Lyrica I take on high nerve pain days so that I could be functional and converse without drooling in my food. But it is a risk, because pain equals a lower irritation threshold, and lawdy I crossed that threshold last night and verbally b!tchslapped the guy from our first church here so hard a few times during bingo.
Why? Well first I made a silly joke about now possessing the world's most expensive paperweight since the touch screen died on my Bernina sewing machine and this guy came back rattling on about his wife's 20K sewing machine. He started ranting about a wonderful European vacation they just came back from, making claims about this place, or that place, only to have Jim or I say something about having been there and done that, in some cases many times because we lived some years in Europe. I could see him mentally struggling to come up with upping the ante to some place neither of us had been. He started claiming they were taking a cruise to Antarctica soon, that was his topper.
I know this guy is a bit braggadocio, I know this but once he moved on to discussion of the local churches I'd just had enough, even if I think all three local churches suck in unique ways. He turned to Jim and make some sort of remark about how Jim's church is in SERIOUS TROUBLE!!!1111ELEVENTY while his was growing by leaps and bounds!
Now the church Jim goes to has had a summer of some turmoil: several senior staff were caught in various acts of tacky and illegal natures that the senior pastor cleaned house and brought in all new staff from the States. He handled it like a boss I thought just watching it from afar. Attendance is steady for this time of the year, low season.
Bragger made some claims we knew were complete and utter fabrications about attendance and growth. He knows I'm still pretty good friends with the two people left on worship team and I'm hearing that things are the same old, same old twenty folks in the building, no pastor except for one part timer borrowed from Jim's church. Today we ran into our worship team friends and she yet again they confirmed the place is as deserted and decrepit as it has been since a few powerful people ran off our pastor friend.
By the time the bragger said that he preached and the church was filled to overflowing I could not help but quip who all were they sticking in the seats? Dogs? Yes, Mr. Bragger is the same idiot that told my husband that there was no way I was that dog allergic, it just was not physically possible, that I had to be making it up. He sits on the board of the old dog filled church, and refused to help me.
It was mean, it was lowdown dirty and it rolled off my tongue because I was sick of hearing this guy talking on at frantic high volume litany of ridiculousness. A ninny's monologuing verbal vomit about how rich he is. I should have behaved better, I should have stayed home. Note to self: feeling crappy, stay home.
Discovered via the food that I am apparently now allergic to Gorgonzola cheese. I never expected to find it at the bottom of my tacos, but the club is now using it in every thing. Ahoy new food allergies! Today has been dreadful as a result. I have been laying around between folding clothing in a pretty fair amount of gut pain.
My meat suit sucks. I suck and I'm sick to death of rich assholes now. Sick of being an asshole when I'm sick.

Comments