There's a CRAB in my Swimming Pool!
Yesterday afternoon we drove down for a walk on Playa Granda. Not a soul in site. Our own private beach. I just wish there was a more direct route. We live something like a mile and a half from the ocean's edge but if you go due west to the beach from the house you'd quickly run into swampland. It's a ten minute ride taking a giant circuitous route.
The surprising thing was the lack of all people. No one, not even the guy that usually collects parking fees. Only the lady with the taco stand.
Meant to only do a quick 30 minute walk but ended up clocking in at over 90 minutes, dragging my exhausted self back. I'd started walking and ended up going almost to the end of the beach by the estuary, hitting up Shell-topia, a stretch of the beach with the most shells. Something about the way the land curves and the cove waves, and the cross hatching waves from the open ocean causes shells to pile up in one spot.
I get distracted by the shells, the tiny hermit crabs, the large red legged crabs sunning, the sand dollars and so many other things that I forgot to turn around until everything started to hurt. But it is a big improvement considering today was the one year anniversary of my stroke. I recovered slower than I would have liked, but I learned something. Rest when you need to. I never did before.
Early bedtime after a long soak and a couple of tylenols last night.
Today was the usual running about, shopping, visiting the art supply store for more canvases and some roving wool. Mechanic for a quick cheap repair of a noisy part on our ancient Honda CRV.
Tonight just after dark Jim went out to do his swimming laps and started yelling. He'd discovered an intruder in the pool and for once it was neither frog or iguana. It was a crab, something like six inches across. Red legs, cobalt blue body, scuttling around the bottom of the pool. No idea how it got there, like I said we're a mile and a half of swampland from the beach.
The surprising thing was the lack of all people. No one, not even the guy that usually collects parking fees. Only the lady with the taco stand.
Meant to only do a quick 30 minute walk but ended up clocking in at over 90 minutes, dragging my exhausted self back. I'd started walking and ended up going almost to the end of the beach by the estuary, hitting up Shell-topia, a stretch of the beach with the most shells. Something about the way the land curves and the cove waves, and the cross hatching waves from the open ocean causes shells to pile up in one spot.
I get distracted by the shells, the tiny hermit crabs, the large red legged crabs sunning, the sand dollars and so many other things that I forgot to turn around until everything started to hurt. But it is a big improvement considering today was the one year anniversary of my stroke. I recovered slower than I would have liked, but I learned something. Rest when you need to. I never did before.
Early bedtime after a long soak and a couple of tylenols last night.
Today was the usual running about, shopping, visiting the art supply store for more canvases and some roving wool. Mechanic for a quick cheap repair of a noisy part on our ancient Honda CRV.
Tonight just after dark Jim went out to do his swimming laps and started yelling. He'd discovered an intruder in the pool and for once it was neither frog or iguana. It was a crab, something like six inches across. Red legs, cobalt blue body, scuttling around the bottom of the pool. No idea how it got there, like I said we're a mile and a half of swampland from the beach.


Comments