Always Obey Your Husband?
If the last few days have been a demonstration of anything they show why you shouldn't park your common sense and your ways of doing things to blindly do what your husband says. Like Lori Alexander and many of the female cultural enforcers say.
We are painting right now. Both of us. Jim is doing the outside of the house and I am painting the badly scuffed up and odd colored bedrooms. We picked an outside color we could both agree on, a task in and of itself and then we picked a three shades lighter version for the bedrooms.
Here's were the fun starts. Jim questioned me copiously as I prepared to paint bedroom one yesterday. Did I have a drop cloth down? Did I tape everything? Did I have enough rollers to keep switching out? And a million other questions. I said no and soldiered on.
I've been painting for years now. I used to do all the painting in the house for many years. I used to help my dad when I was a kid. I know what I am doing now.
Jim started painting last year. Last. Year. He follows all the rules, taping up every cut in, putting down tarps, taking his time to roll the roller at the proper angle. He cleans his brushes. By. The. Book.
Me? I have a lot of things I do poorly, painting is not one of them.
I painted the cut ins without taping and do not make mistakes. I don't spill, I don't use drop clothes. I'm not slow and careful and I move at the speed of light. While I'm still painting I store my used brushes overnight in the freezer wrapped in plastic. Why wash the brush when you're just going to dirty it with the same paint the next day? Two bedrooms done in two afternoons. No slopped paint.
If I had heeded Jim I would still be taping off the windows and guanacaste wood baseboards. I was nice, I was cheerful with Jim but very upfront that I do this my way, the way I always have. Free handed cut ins are my specialty.
I thought a lot about the cultural enforcers advice to away obey your husband. An afternoon job would have taken a full day had I done what Jim said.
I know, I know, Lori would never lower herself to paint a room, likely just have Ken hire some Mexicans down at the Home Depot. I don't do that because I want it done right. I want primer used over the worst of the marks. I fill in holes with plaster and if it takes ten coats that's okay.
We are painting right now. Both of us. Jim is doing the outside of the house and I am painting the badly scuffed up and odd colored bedrooms. We picked an outside color we could both agree on, a task in and of itself and then we picked a three shades lighter version for the bedrooms.
Here's were the fun starts. Jim questioned me copiously as I prepared to paint bedroom one yesterday. Did I have a drop cloth down? Did I tape everything? Did I have enough rollers to keep switching out? And a million other questions. I said no and soldiered on.
I've been painting for years now. I used to do all the painting in the house for many years. I used to help my dad when I was a kid. I know what I am doing now.
Jim started painting last year. Last. Year. He follows all the rules, taping up every cut in, putting down tarps, taking his time to roll the roller at the proper angle. He cleans his brushes. By. The. Book.
Me? I have a lot of things I do poorly, painting is not one of them.
I painted the cut ins without taping and do not make mistakes. I don't spill, I don't use drop clothes. I'm not slow and careful and I move at the speed of light. While I'm still painting I store my used brushes overnight in the freezer wrapped in plastic. Why wash the brush when you're just going to dirty it with the same paint the next day? Two bedrooms done in two afternoons. No slopped paint.
If I had heeded Jim I would still be taping off the windows and guanacaste wood baseboards. I was nice, I was cheerful with Jim but very upfront that I do this my way, the way I always have. Free handed cut ins are my specialty.
I thought a lot about the cultural enforcers advice to away obey your husband. An afternoon job would have taken a full day had I done what Jim said.
I know, I know, Lori would never lower herself to paint a room, likely just have Ken hire some Mexicans down at the Home Depot. I don't do that because I want it done right. I want primer used over the worst of the marks. I fill in holes with plaster and if it takes ten coats that's okay.
Comments