Granny Takes a Trip
Today started awful. I was almost throwing up my coffee it was so bad. The shipping company delivered the last of our household goods. The company delivered the wrong damn boxes. Remember back in November when we went, sorted out our boxes to figure out which ones to keep
Recap: Nearly a year ago I went back to the states, sorted out all of things in storage, splitting into piles for going to the dump, dropping stuff off at Goodwill, that friends and relatives would soon pick, and lastly boxes to ship to us in Costa Rica. I paid the realtor selling the house pretty handsomely to get a crew to load those boxes into a container. The realtor waited for no one, have everything, trash, kids things, an abundance of things Goodwill was to get, and the things we wanted. Once the shipping container reached Costa Rica and the contents list did not match we had issues, but were told 'we get everything by paying a big fine.
A 3 month strike in customs on unimportant person possessions and then we were told that customs changed their mind about allowing us to pay that big fine and bringing it all in. Now they were demanding that we stick to the bill of lading for the number of boxes. We went, we sorted as I described. Now delivery. They arrived with only half of the things we wanted. The other half was trash and things we did not want.
We were told that was the only things custom approved in our shipment, but that is an obvious lie. Read on. Things happened like I received one of the 8 drawers in my desk and no desk at all. They said that customs only cleared that one drawer. We shipped two identical shelving sets. One arrived in the warehouse missing the top board. The other one was in good shape. Today we received the broken one and told customs refused to approve the unbroken one.
This is starting to look and feel like the customs folks decided to take all the expensive stuff, or perceived expensive.. Currently missing.
High blood pressure and crying much of the day. I know this is not over. The company refused to take back the refused items and bring out the approved ones. We've been politely told to fuck off.
The guy who built the house we're in is our lawyer. He's done our wills and comes to visit frequently. He has connections. Hopefully with the custom agent handling this. I don't know if a bribe will be requested, but I would not be surprised to get hit for more money than I already laid out to customs.
I cannot do anything further so by late afternoon I'd developed a 'Oh who cares," and we ended up going to the nighttime farmers market. We had fish tacos and I bought a magic brownie from a lady that openly makes them and sells them even it is illegal here. A quarter brownie and down, down, down my blood pressure went.
Recap: Nearly a year ago I went back to the states, sorted out all of things in storage, splitting into piles for going to the dump, dropping stuff off at Goodwill, that friends and relatives would soon pick, and lastly boxes to ship to us in Costa Rica. I paid the realtor selling the house pretty handsomely to get a crew to load those boxes into a container. The realtor waited for no one, have everything, trash, kids things, an abundance of things Goodwill was to get, and the things we wanted. Once the shipping container reached Costa Rica and the contents list did not match we had issues, but were told 'we get everything by paying a big fine.
A 3 month strike in customs on unimportant person possessions and then we were told that customs changed their mind about allowing us to pay that big fine and bringing it all in. Now they were demanding that we stick to the bill of lading for the number of boxes. We went, we sorted as I described. Now delivery. They arrived with only half of the things we wanted. The other half was trash and things we did not want.
We were told that was the only things custom approved in our shipment, but that is an obvious lie. Read on. Things happened like I received one of the 8 drawers in my desk and no desk at all. They said that customs only cleared that one drawer. We shipped two identical shelving sets. One arrived in the warehouse missing the top board. The other one was in good shape. Today we received the broken one and told customs refused to approve the unbroken one.
This is starting to look and feel like the customs folks decided to take all the expensive stuff, or perceived expensive.. Currently missing.
- 3 jewelry boxes filled with costume jewelry
- Black leather coat lined with mink
- 3 sets of English china
- 3 wedding dresses
- Jim's motorcycle
- musical equipment
- books
- darkroom equipment
- pile of blue jeans
- large wooden easel
- Dremel with 100 different attachment heads
- bunch of power tools
- complete set of wicker furniture
- and more
High blood pressure and crying much of the day. I know this is not over. The company refused to take back the refused items and bring out the approved ones. We've been politely told to fuck off.
The guy who built the house we're in is our lawyer. He's done our wills and comes to visit frequently. He has connections. Hopefully with the custom agent handling this. I don't know if a bribe will be requested, but I would not be surprised to get hit for more money than I already laid out to customs.
I cannot do anything further so by late afternoon I'd developed a 'Oh who cares," and we ended up going to the nighttime farmers market. We had fish tacos and I bought a magic brownie from a lady that openly makes them and sells them even it is illegal here. A quarter brownie and down, down, down my blood pressure went.
Comments