Irksome Fundraising and Just Life
We're still engaged in the paintathon here, which is why I haven't been posted. I've been painting the master bedroom. While I was able to knock out the other bedrooms in one afternoon each the master was a bit more problematic. More like two seven hour stretches and now I'm cleaning up the painting mess in there.
Our bedroom is huge, with one full wall being taken up with a twenty foot picture window. There's a dressing room, a portion with a tv and rocking chairs. It took time.
I haven't been sleeping well because I've been sleeping in one of the smaller bedrooms because of the smell, which is thankfully fading due to the fact that I've cracked open those enormous windows. I cried at church Sunday and have been mostly out of sorts because of the paint fume inhaling and my asthma. Today my blood pressure is way way up from the lack of sleeping.
Guess what I am saying is that it hasn't taken much to ruin my cha-cha, and it's definitely been off-balance this week Why? Everyone's fundraisers again, others scamming for dough. What else. This has been an irksome thing to me, like having a small raspberry seed stuck between two teeth irritating your gums, a low level annoyance that sometimes suddenly flares into pain.
I have noticed that personal responsibility seems to have evaporated in the face of the Go Fund Me generation. Recently I saw the friend of a friend of a friend post a Go Fund Me for buying their kid a new video game system, which really made me laugh. Have we really gone into that territory? I remember my son wanting various game systems, and working and ........ get this.... Saving for it!~ He mowed lawns, dusted, ran the vacuum cleaner and weeded for us and our neighbors until he had enough
I imagine what would happen if he had asked me to internet fund raise for his gaming system. I would have likely laughed and told him to go away.
So why have I been ranting about people wanting money from me? Because it's gotten stupid and overwhelming, from Bob and Julie on down. I'm not opposed to giving. I have routinely given to various animal shelters, local people like the neighbor with no roof on his house and rainy season on the way, food banks, shelters, friends with serious requests. But I haven't given to any of the online beggars that are the loudest.
Another friend of a friend has five open fundraisers right now that a friend of mine has been sharing, all pretty strange, all where I would love to tell this gal off, to get a damn job since she does not work. She's asking for money to take her nieces to the State Fair, funding for a weather related disaster not even near where she is, to go to a family function, to move, to pay for relatives mishaps.
I've gotten where when I see the sillier appeals I just quietly unfollow people. There are enough serious things ongoing with legitimate charities to waste time on ridiculous personal ones. I think for some folks it's now a way of life, a way of avoiding actually working, planning or saving. Or the result of some very screwed up ideas about money.
How about this, how about I start a Go Fund Me page to get money to get someone else to finish my house remodel. Have someone else scrub floors and put out new bed linens. Hire someone else to hang pictures, dust and sweep.
See how silly that all sounds?
At the same time I am trying to get Hospital Metropolitano to refund the roughly 1, 200 bucks they owe me. They're eager to take your debit card but woe be it if you try for a refund. Now I have to drive the roughly five hour ride to the hospital to request the refund in person with all my receipts.
On the upside tomorrow morning I am supposed to get my household goods finally from the shipping company. I have to rest today because I know tomorrow I'll be cleaning and unpacking boxes. At least no one will be trying to shake me down while I'm unpacking I hope.
Our bedroom is huge, with one full wall being taken up with a twenty foot picture window. There's a dressing room, a portion with a tv and rocking chairs. It took time.
I haven't been sleeping well because I've been sleeping in one of the smaller bedrooms because of the smell, which is thankfully fading due to the fact that I've cracked open those enormous windows. I cried at church Sunday and have been mostly out of sorts because of the paint fume inhaling and my asthma. Today my blood pressure is way way up from the lack of sleeping.
Guess what I am saying is that it hasn't taken much to ruin my cha-cha, and it's definitely been off-balance this week Why? Everyone's fundraisers again, others scamming for dough. What else. This has been an irksome thing to me, like having a small raspberry seed stuck between two teeth irritating your gums, a low level annoyance that sometimes suddenly flares into pain.
I have noticed that personal responsibility seems to have evaporated in the face of the Go Fund Me generation. Recently I saw the friend of a friend of a friend post a Go Fund Me for buying their kid a new video game system, which really made me laugh. Have we really gone into that territory? I remember my son wanting various game systems, and working and ........ get this.... Saving for it!~ He mowed lawns, dusted, ran the vacuum cleaner and weeded for us and our neighbors until he had enough
I imagine what would happen if he had asked me to internet fund raise for his gaming system. I would have likely laughed and told him to go away.
So why have I been ranting about people wanting money from me? Because it's gotten stupid and overwhelming, from Bob and Julie on down. I'm not opposed to giving. I have routinely given to various animal shelters, local people like the neighbor with no roof on his house and rainy season on the way, food banks, shelters, friends with serious requests. But I haven't given to any of the online beggars that are the loudest.
Another friend of a friend has five open fundraisers right now that a friend of mine has been sharing, all pretty strange, all where I would love to tell this gal off, to get a damn job since she does not work. She's asking for money to take her nieces to the State Fair, funding for a weather related disaster not even near where she is, to go to a family function, to move, to pay for relatives mishaps.
I've gotten where when I see the sillier appeals I just quietly unfollow people. There are enough serious things ongoing with legitimate charities to waste time on ridiculous personal ones. I think for some folks it's now a way of life, a way of avoiding actually working, planning or saving. Or the result of some very screwed up ideas about money.
How about this, how about I start a Go Fund Me page to get money to get someone else to finish my house remodel. Have someone else scrub floors and put out new bed linens. Hire someone else to hang pictures, dust and sweep.
See how silly that all sounds?
At the same time I am trying to get Hospital Metropolitano to refund the roughly 1, 200 bucks they owe me. They're eager to take your debit card but woe be it if you try for a refund. Now I have to drive the roughly five hour ride to the hospital to request the refund in person with all my receipts.
On the upside tomorrow morning I am supposed to get my household goods finally from the shipping company. I have to rest today because I know tomorrow I'll be cleaning and unpacking boxes. At least no one will be trying to shake me down while I'm unpacking I hope.
Comments