Smoky Jumping
Today started with a bang. Jim and I trading painting services with each other. I cannot reach the very tippy top of the bedrooms to paint, not if I stand on the step ladder, de nada. I am short and this house has high cathedral ceilings in most of the rooms. I told Jim I'd paint the columns outside, the carved bases and all if he would trim out the ceilings in the bedroom.
So that's what I did. I just didn't count on Jim freaking out by my not taping or other preparations he does. I did get the painting done, but there were a few words between us, at least until he calmed down after I showed him that the few little paint speckles come right up off the tile with some water and a quick scrub. Different skill sets entirely between the two of us. Part of me thinks that Jim enjoys worrying and fretting sometimes. He kept freaking out thinking I was about to slop paint everywhere.
It was during our painting that we both got phone calls. For what? For money. Both of us were approached by people we know to lend them substantial amounts. More nos from us. I swear I do not know what is going on right now. Do I have "ATM" printed on my forehead?
Was nervous all morning because I could smell the fires. I know I've mentioned here before that the Ticos love to burn off weeds and burn yard brush in the dry season. The problem being.. it's dry season and fires can get out of control too easily and spread. Right now there are a number of larger out of control fires here in Guanacaste. Very high winds driving the flames. We drove past one the other day, the side of the mountain was in flames and over a hundred homes had to be evacuated. I'm always jumpy on smoky days.
I was a little jumpy today to start because I'd posted something mentioning the anti vaxxer movement at NLQ. Most of my Patheos pals who've raised that topic have gotten death threats and all sorts of ugly. Did have a few people contact me, but it was over a silly rumor, not the vax issue. I just kept referring people back to the person that told them the information. I don't have time for that.
The entire vaccine issue here in Costa Rica is touchy. It's mandatory here. You do it or CPS takes your children. But lo and behold last month an anti vaxxer family showed up here locally on vacation and on day two the seven year old came down with measles. Costa Rica does not play, they issued boosters to those exposed and completely quarantined the entire family until everyone was clear of the illness. It's the first time in over five years there has been any cases of measles here.
I'm a little worried about tomorrow. Tomorrow we're supposed to drive out to the hotel owned by Bob and Carol to 'tour' it. I know they are thinking we must be about to lend them the money. I don't want to go, I'd rather just have said "no" right off the bat, and leave it at that. But Jim is dying to see what it is they have going on. So I should have an interesting tale to tell tomorrow evening at least. I am still puzzling over buying a hotel and not having the capital to do at least two years operating expenses.
The good things today were seeing a large flock of parrots in our star fruit trees, finding fresh raspberries at an affordable price at Auto Mercado, not having asthma during the painting, swimming 50 laps in the pool because it's taken me forever to build up to that, and for very cold morning overnight oats. And mangoes, always grateful for the fresh mangoes in the yard. Plus introducing Stinky to cat nip tonight, so funny.
So that's what I did. I just didn't count on Jim freaking out by my not taping or other preparations he does. I did get the painting done, but there were a few words between us, at least until he calmed down after I showed him that the few little paint speckles come right up off the tile with some water and a quick scrub. Different skill sets entirely between the two of us. Part of me thinks that Jim enjoys worrying and fretting sometimes. He kept freaking out thinking I was about to slop paint everywhere.
It was during our painting that we both got phone calls. For what? For money. Both of us were approached by people we know to lend them substantial amounts. More nos from us. I swear I do not know what is going on right now. Do I have "ATM" printed on my forehead?
Was nervous all morning because I could smell the fires. I know I've mentioned here before that the Ticos love to burn off weeds and burn yard brush in the dry season. The problem being.. it's dry season and fires can get out of control too easily and spread. Right now there are a number of larger out of control fires here in Guanacaste. Very high winds driving the flames. We drove past one the other day, the side of the mountain was in flames and over a hundred homes had to be evacuated. I'm always jumpy on smoky days.
I was a little jumpy today to start because I'd posted something mentioning the anti vaxxer movement at NLQ. Most of my Patheos pals who've raised that topic have gotten death threats and all sorts of ugly. Did have a few people contact me, but it was over a silly rumor, not the vax issue. I just kept referring people back to the person that told them the information. I don't have time for that.
The entire vaccine issue here in Costa Rica is touchy. It's mandatory here. You do it or CPS takes your children. But lo and behold last month an anti vaxxer family showed up here locally on vacation and on day two the seven year old came down with measles. Costa Rica does not play, they issued boosters to those exposed and completely quarantined the entire family until everyone was clear of the illness. It's the first time in over five years there has been any cases of measles here.
I'm a little worried about tomorrow. Tomorrow we're supposed to drive out to the hotel owned by Bob and Carol to 'tour' it. I know they are thinking we must be about to lend them the money. I don't want to go, I'd rather just have said "no" right off the bat, and leave it at that. But Jim is dying to see what it is they have going on. So I should have an interesting tale to tell tomorrow evening at least. I am still puzzling over buying a hotel and not having the capital to do at least two years operating expenses.
The good things today were seeing a large flock of parrots in our star fruit trees, finding fresh raspberries at an affordable price at Auto Mercado, not having asthma during the painting, swimming 50 laps in the pool because it's taken me forever to build up to that, and for very cold morning overnight oats. And mangoes, always grateful for the fresh mangoes in the yard. Plus introducing Stinky to cat nip tonight, so funny.
Comments