Betwix and Between
Happier times, sunset in Tama as the boats come back in. Completely deserted beaches now.
There comes a point in your life when you're standing at a crossroads. Sometimes it happens many times. Right now is one of those 'many times' of crossing that rubicon, hard choices with no idea it they will genuinely work out.
The American community here in Costa Rica we are having to decide. Do we stay, or do we take that one last flight out of Costa Rica to go back to the States to ride out the Pandemic. If you go you risk your residency status, and application. You go knowing it may be one very long time before the borders reopen and allow you back in. People have pointed out that you might come back to a looting house, or a landlord that has evicted while you were gone. What happens if this extends and you miss paying your Riteve on your vehicle. Lots of risks.
And what for? Here the COVID curve is being so thoroughly squashed the daily numbers of new infections have now dropped below ten a day now. We have had 10,000 people tested, and are topped out at just under six hundred COVID patients and only four deaths. As I have outlined here before it's being handled much differently than in the States.
But a part of that is giving up some essential rights that most Americans chafe at. When the government here tells you to be off the beach, don't drive, shelter in place and closes all alcohol and tobacco sales there's no talking back, no wiggle room. You do it, or you incur a huge fine.
Even when hearing people having these discussions here, freaking out over the choice I think it's a no brainer in my mind to stay, and not return home. We've already been assured that they are extending our visas automatically. The private health care here is some of the best I've seen. The government tested me for COVID and issued the treatment for free. Let that sink in. For free. Compare that with the roughly 3 thousand being charged in the U.S. just for the test.
Every single thing I am seeing on CNN, and the BBC World Service and Al Jazeera makes it look like the U.S. is a confusing infected shit show. I have had to stop watching the daily press briefings with President Trump. It's too painful. Me, ever the cockeyed realistic, was looking hopefully for the president to be, well, presidential. I didn't vote for him, I don't much like him, but I have remained hopeful that he might be one of those people that crisis brings out the leader, or the best of him. Sadly he's only interested in sowing discord, treating the daily briefings into rantathon to settle the score with his political enemies. I'm not interested in seeing that. I've given up on him.
I know for me I have made the hard and right decision to stay. I've learned where to go for all the things I used to import from the U.S. It's still beautiful here even if I cannot walk on the beach. We went out riding this afternoon when I had to go to the pharmacy. The sun is still shining, birds swooping in and out and flowers blooming. It's always a Tuesday afternoon vibe here.
There comes a point in your life when you're standing at a crossroads. Sometimes it happens many times. Right now is one of those 'many times' of crossing that rubicon, hard choices with no idea it they will genuinely work out.
The American community here in Costa Rica we are having to decide. Do we stay, or do we take that one last flight out of Costa Rica to go back to the States to ride out the Pandemic. If you go you risk your residency status, and application. You go knowing it may be one very long time before the borders reopen and allow you back in. People have pointed out that you might come back to a looting house, or a landlord that has evicted while you were gone. What happens if this extends and you miss paying your Riteve on your vehicle. Lots of risks.
And what for? Here the COVID curve is being so thoroughly squashed the daily numbers of new infections have now dropped below ten a day now. We have had 10,000 people tested, and are topped out at just under six hundred COVID patients and only four deaths. As I have outlined here before it's being handled much differently than in the States.
But a part of that is giving up some essential rights that most Americans chafe at. When the government here tells you to be off the beach, don't drive, shelter in place and closes all alcohol and tobacco sales there's no talking back, no wiggle room. You do it, or you incur a huge fine.
Even when hearing people having these discussions here, freaking out over the choice I think it's a no brainer in my mind to stay, and not return home. We've already been assured that they are extending our visas automatically. The private health care here is some of the best I've seen. The government tested me for COVID and issued the treatment for free. Let that sink in. For free. Compare that with the roughly 3 thousand being charged in the U.S. just for the test.
Every single thing I am seeing on CNN, and the BBC World Service and Al Jazeera makes it look like the U.S. is a confusing infected shit show. I have had to stop watching the daily press briefings with President Trump. It's too painful. Me, ever the cockeyed realistic, was looking hopefully for the president to be, well, presidential. I didn't vote for him, I don't much like him, but I have remained hopeful that he might be one of those people that crisis brings out the leader, or the best of him. Sadly he's only interested in sowing discord, treating the daily briefings into rantathon to settle the score with his political enemies. I'm not interested in seeing that. I've given up on him.
I know for me I have made the hard and right decision to stay. I've learned where to go for all the things I used to import from the U.S. It's still beautiful here even if I cannot walk on the beach. We went out riding this afternoon when I had to go to the pharmacy. The sun is still shining, birds swooping in and out and flowers blooming. It's always a Tuesday afternoon vibe here.

Comments