Of Corn and Covid
Jim is working his way down a list of the supposed top fifty films during our Covid lockdown, and I have to say that I am finding it a sad and pathetic bunch. Almost all big bucks blockbusters that just never appealed to me. I have always preferred the odd, the weird, the quirky in my films. I am exiled to the living room to reruns of very old horror films and other bizarre fare while Jim partakes of the rom-com, the action film, the bad film adaptation of a sappy novel. To each their own. Just don't try to fob that off on me.
I am still sentenced to using my greatgrandmother's ancient electric skillet with the replaced cord, microwave, my hot plate and toaster oven both from the guesthouse. They've come out a few times from the appliance repair shop and fiddled around with my stove, but so far de nada. Still does not work.
I'm sort of discombobulated. Last night I flaked out at 8 pm, feeling the very awful first beginnings of what feels like strep. I even slept through that Forrest Gump movie that I have zero patience with. Reminds me too much of my elderly cousin J.W., I cannot take amusement at the doings of the mentally disabled after years of J.W. in our family life. There are just some movie tropes that truly piss me off, many of them Southern or dealing with those disabled in some way.
Anyway I slept all the way through until 6 this morning. I got up, realized I needed to do everything I could very quickly because I was still feeling awful. I finally got my garden planted, American corn, spinach. sweet potatoes, lettuce and pickling cukes. All things I smuggled the seeds in to plant. Did all the week's laundry. Cleaned the kitchen, watered the plants, picked mangoes and starfruit, ran to the food bank with the extra fruit and did a few small repairs, all before 11 am. Since then I've been working on the craziest thing, a quilted patchwork plague mask with the long nose.
Stayed busy, at least until the daily coronavirus press conference. Serious question. What the heck is wrong with our president? Some of the things coming out of his mouth were pure nonsensical word vomit. All that about injections into the lungs with disinfectants was insane. I have a sad feeling we're about to see poisoned members of his lunatic fringe base with Lysol and Clorox poisoning tomorrow.
I have to wonder if we're seeing the aftermath of a stroke or TIA by the very way he talks, by his insisting on things that aren't even remotely true. I guess it's good he finally backed off hydroxycloroquine.
And the rest? What. The. Heck????? They talks of how the coronavirus can be killed with sunshine, heat and humidity, acting like as soon as it warms up it will just poof the magic dragon awayyyyyyyy.. Let me state this. I live in a very hot place. Our temps are near 100 every single day. We have high humidity. We have copious sunshine every single day of the week. You know what else we have, every other country in Central and South America has in the heat? COVID 19. Just like a pile of other hot places has.
I have been watching these press conferences since the beginning. At first Trump seemed like he might actually buck up, develop some leadership skills, rise to the occasion and be at least a little presidential. But every single day he becomes more unbalanced and bizarre, like an escapee from the "Memory Care" ward
I am still sentenced to using my greatgrandmother's ancient electric skillet with the replaced cord, microwave, my hot plate and toaster oven both from the guesthouse. They've come out a few times from the appliance repair shop and fiddled around with my stove, but so far de nada. Still does not work.
I'm sort of discombobulated. Last night I flaked out at 8 pm, feeling the very awful first beginnings of what feels like strep. I even slept through that Forrest Gump movie that I have zero patience with. Reminds me too much of my elderly cousin J.W., I cannot take amusement at the doings of the mentally disabled after years of J.W. in our family life. There are just some movie tropes that truly piss me off, many of them Southern or dealing with those disabled in some way.
Anyway I slept all the way through until 6 this morning. I got up, realized I needed to do everything I could very quickly because I was still feeling awful. I finally got my garden planted, American corn, spinach. sweet potatoes, lettuce and pickling cukes. All things I smuggled the seeds in to plant. Did all the week's laundry. Cleaned the kitchen, watered the plants, picked mangoes and starfruit, ran to the food bank with the extra fruit and did a few small repairs, all before 11 am. Since then I've been working on the craziest thing, a quilted patchwork plague mask with the long nose.
Stayed busy, at least until the daily coronavirus press conference. Serious question. What the heck is wrong with our president? Some of the things coming out of his mouth were pure nonsensical word vomit. All that about injections into the lungs with disinfectants was insane. I have a sad feeling we're about to see poisoned members of his lunatic fringe base with Lysol and Clorox poisoning tomorrow.
I have to wonder if we're seeing the aftermath of a stroke or TIA by the very way he talks, by his insisting on things that aren't even remotely true. I guess it's good he finally backed off hydroxycloroquine.
And the rest? What. The. Heck????? They talks of how the coronavirus can be killed with sunshine, heat and humidity, acting like as soon as it warms up it will just poof the magic dragon awayyyyyyyy.. Let me state this. I live in a very hot place. Our temps are near 100 every single day. We have high humidity. We have copious sunshine every single day of the week. You know what else we have, every other country in Central and South America has in the heat? COVID 19. Just like a pile of other hot places has.
I have been watching these press conferences since the beginning. At first Trump seemed like he might actually buck up, develop some leadership skills, rise to the occasion and be at least a little presidential. But every single day he becomes more unbalanced and bizarre, like an escapee from the "Memory Care" ward

Comments