Fire and Water
Playa Grande is on fire tonight. Midnight and I'm not sure how much sleep I will be getting. I know looking at the fire photos people are posting that at least one friend's home is engulfed in flames, and there may be more. Friends living out there in Las Ventanas, Alemendro Hills and Corona de Cabo. Those things sticking up black from the flames are houses. One of which I know the people very well.
We're a mere mile and a half from the flames, and on the backside of this photo taken by a friend of mine that lives up the hill in Tamarindo. I think even if the fire moves and travels we'll be okay because between us and those houses is an enormous wetlands and estuary. Nothing like a bayou for snuffing out flames.
I cannot smell the fire from here, but I can see the faint otherworldly orange glow and my asthma kicked up pretty badly. We have had one major rain and a few sprinkles, but we're still on the backside of dry season, everything is dried tinder. Guanacaste tends to have these huge conflagrations during dry season, usually caused by human error.
Speaking of human error.
Figures, caps a day when I majorly lost my temper with Jim. I came out of the bedroom around 5 pm to find the faucet in the kitchen running full blast, slamming down on a plate Jim laid on top of a mixing bowl in the sink, bouncing off and spewing water all over the floor. It was a good inch deep on the floor. Jim tried to blame it on the cat, but he'd been the last one in the kitchen the hour before. So guess what I did for a few hours. That's right, water removal. That task is starting to feel like my life story here.
We're a mere mile and a half from the flames, and on the backside of this photo taken by a friend of mine that lives up the hill in Tamarindo. I think even if the fire moves and travels we'll be okay because between us and those houses is an enormous wetlands and estuary. Nothing like a bayou for snuffing out flames.
I cannot smell the fire from here, but I can see the faint otherworldly orange glow and my asthma kicked up pretty badly. We have had one major rain and a few sprinkles, but we're still on the backside of dry season, everything is dried tinder. Guanacaste tends to have these huge conflagrations during dry season, usually caused by human error.
Speaking of human error.
Figures, caps a day when I majorly lost my temper with Jim. I came out of the bedroom around 5 pm to find the faucet in the kitchen running full blast, slamming down on a plate Jim laid on top of a mixing bowl in the sink, bouncing off and spewing water all over the floor. It was a good inch deep on the floor. Jim tried to blame it on the cat, but he'd been the last one in the kitchen the hour before. So guess what I did for a few hours. That's right, water removal. That task is starting to feel like my life story here.

Comments