A Series of Confloptions





A guy on horseback explaining to a surfer that the beach is still closed today.

Today went from confusion to confusion.

Today was my 60th birthday. I had hoped to sleep in, but that was not to be. Jim tried to wake me up bright and early with breakfast in bed, a nuked bacon, egg and cheese biscuit from Wal Mart.  Without nuking it quite enough. A cold hard biscuit when I kept trying to roll over and go back to sleep. It's the thought that counts, right? Me, laying up in bed with a coldish breakfast sandwich.

Had to get up, and before having more than a mouthful of coffee roll out of the door. We had to take our friend's car to the mechanic to have it fixed to pass Retive. Another goat rodeo. I had to flag down Jim less than a block from the house because the bottom half of the Jeep door was flapping open spewing trash. The back of the Jeep is filled with detritus. We got back on the road and then Jim forgot where this place was. I am no help because I'm just trying to drink my first cup of coffee and drive without killing anyone.

We circle about, I'm wondering what the heck is going on with Jim in the Jeep and me driving our SUV, finally arriving at the place to drop it off for the day, and head home. Or try to, stopping to get cat food. My phone blows up from Louisiana area codes again, but the electric is janky today, and I have to get home to make a ton of return calls.

Lunch at a favored burger place, cake and ice cream at home, and a nap.  I could not have asked for a better day even with such a shaky start. I would have loved to have walked the beach but between the beach closures and the rain it was a no go. Saw the highest tide I've ever experienced here, with the water coming nearly to the circle at the end of town.

Not my worst or best birthday, but quite frankly I was happy it was so low key. I think the year I cancer was both the best and the worst. I was 15, and spend my birthday at a Rolling Stones concert. First time I'd seen an enormous inflatable penis. 45 long years ago. Both Mick Jagger and I are still moving and grooving and that's a good thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids