Covidiots Unite!
Just had a very upsetting conversation. Chewed out by a Bridezilla.
My husband Jim has a friend he made back in elementary school he loves dearly. We've visited them off and on for years. He and his second wife have a daughter just about the age of our youngest. She was always bossy, opinionated and headstrong. Even as a small child.
The last time I went with Jim to see these friends I wasn't too favorably impressed by the grown up version. What's cute in a child in small doses can be deplorable in adults. Loud, obnoxious in every single way, vulgar with language lousy with swear words. I cringed away from her every time she spoke, this future Bridezilla.
I especially remember our final meal together on this trip. We took the family out and I was on tenterhooks the entire time. Copious drinking, ordering half the menu and then not eating it. After we were driving away at the end of the night Jim and I talked about how immature she was. I knew he would have a problem with her ordering all those drinks and dishes, sure enough he did. I guess I'm still too old school, my mother impressed upon me as a kid that when you are someone else's guest it's rude to order the most expensive items, or run the bill up sky high boozing.
Not left with a favorable impression at all of the bride.
Jim has gone back to see these people. I have not, preferring to spend my precious time out of Costa Rica with our children. I did hear over the years how Jim's buddy hated the daughter's boyfriend, hated when they became engaged and is now hoping, praying and crossing fingers the wedding falls through. The friend thinks the fiancee is not "good enough" for the daughter, and, I think, therein lies the problem. She's very much Daddy's rude spoiled Lil' Princess at almost 30. Cute when you're 5, not so cute now.
The wedding. We've been hearing about the freaking wedding for over a year now. Knew it was scheduled for August in a state with soaring COVID 19 cases, yet still this tremendous over the top wedding is still on. It sounds like another opportunity to contract the virus, which I am so not down for.
Today I get a Facebook phone call from the Bridezilla, demanding to know why we didn't RSVP for the wedding. I didn't even know we were invited. She's nasty, she's obscene and shrill. The story emerges that she mailed us an invitation in April, we were supposed to respond by June. She was furious.
She didn't want to listen to the fact that when there is no Pandemic there seems to be about a five week lag time in getting and sending mail to the States from here. A late April invitation with about a five week turn around time would have been tight even under normal circumstances.
But let's face it. This is not normal. Mail from the States stopped arriving here in mid March, when the last of the daily flights from the States stopped. We can neither receive or send mail back and forth. Even getting a package UPS is problematic and too expensive. We never responded because we never received the invitation, didn't even know we'd been invited.
I'd posted more than once on Facebook on the lack of mail here, and sent emails around to friends and family telling them not to send us anything.
The bride didn't take any of this information well, and started angrily demanding to know if we'd be there. The louder and angrier she got the more I considered hanging up on her. I finally told her, no, we would NOT be there. Flights start up here in mid August between some areas of Europe and the Far East, but it's likely to be much longer, maybe as long as November, before flights between the U.S. and here start up again. Too much COVID.
If we pay the 1,200 bucks each and take one of the few repatriation flights we lose our place in the residency process and have to start again. We cannot come back until normal flights resume and Costa Rica decides to allow American tourism again. Could be to the end of the year. We cannot leave our home empty that long, and have no desire to expose ourselves to the rolling infectious disease spectacle that the States has turned into.
Who has a huge wedding in a COVID hot spot in the middle of a Pandemic?

Comments