Missing Freedom
Missing meals and sunset views from here. From Eat at Joe's Tamarindo last month. Not now sadly enough.
This morning I could put it off no longer I had to make a bread and milk run to the grocery store. Both Maxi Pali and Auto Mercado have special old timers hour at the beginning of the day. Even if I'm still a few months from 60 I turned up at Maxi Pali during that hour and the nice security guard let me through the gate. There was literally not more than two or three others shopping, and the store was fully stocked for a change. Was able to replenish my supply of tissues, paper towels, juice and milk, even if I was limited to three of each. Actually glad they are limiting. I never buy more than that anyway.
But I was surprised by the amount of fear I felt, just running a short and simple errand. I felt conspicuous in the worst way, trussed up like a germophobe in nitrile gloves since I had a box, my mask wiping down the cart, and later the groceries.
One amusing moment was perusing the beer cooler, trussed up with police line crime scene tape, and sticks and signs about the cooler being closed by the order of the Santa Cruz police dept. I guess cold beer somehow is related to buying it in a bar. Something to do with the liquor licensing.
I am also coming to realize I need to skip President Trump's afternoon Coronavirus press conferences. He misstates, bobbles, and says so many wrong things that it is sometimes an exercise in extreme frustration. I look forward to a time when we have a president who is actually presidential again. A real adult instead of this idiotic shitbox of a liar.
This afternoon I got two different pieces of news, one good, one not so good.
The Costa Rican government is now saying if you are a legal resident, or applying for legal residency, or living here on a tourist visa and you go back to the United States you lose your status, stripped of residency, or have your residency application status voided immediately. And they may not allow you back in. What's the whole point of being a legal resident if the government decides to strip it away for no good reason? I wonder if this is some sort of grab to seize assets? We're going nowhere now, not that we were planning before, but it is doubly important to stay put.
The good thing was receiving a long email from my doctor talking of the virus in our country. We still only have 2 cases in Guanacaste. She believes if we continue to shelter in place for the next two to three weeks it will be enough to turn the tide in the infection rate. I was touched and grateful to see she's offering at home visits for those of us with preexisting conditions. I hope I don't have to take her up on that.
This morning I could put it off no longer I had to make a bread and milk run to the grocery store. Both Maxi Pali and Auto Mercado have special old timers hour at the beginning of the day. Even if I'm still a few months from 60 I turned up at Maxi Pali during that hour and the nice security guard let me through the gate. There was literally not more than two or three others shopping, and the store was fully stocked for a change. Was able to replenish my supply of tissues, paper towels, juice and milk, even if I was limited to three of each. Actually glad they are limiting. I never buy more than that anyway.
But I was surprised by the amount of fear I felt, just running a short and simple errand. I felt conspicuous in the worst way, trussed up like a germophobe in nitrile gloves since I had a box, my mask wiping down the cart, and later the groceries.
One amusing moment was perusing the beer cooler, trussed up with police line crime scene tape, and sticks and signs about the cooler being closed by the order of the Santa Cruz police dept. I guess cold beer somehow is related to buying it in a bar. Something to do with the liquor licensing.
I am also coming to realize I need to skip President Trump's afternoon Coronavirus press conferences. He misstates, bobbles, and says so many wrong things that it is sometimes an exercise in extreme frustration. I look forward to a time when we have a president who is actually presidential again. A real adult instead of this idiotic shitbox of a liar.
This afternoon I got two different pieces of news, one good, one not so good.
The Costa Rican government is now saying if you are a legal resident, or applying for legal residency, or living here on a tourist visa and you go back to the United States you lose your status, stripped of residency, or have your residency application status voided immediately. And they may not allow you back in. What's the whole point of being a legal resident if the government decides to strip it away for no good reason? I wonder if this is some sort of grab to seize assets? We're going nowhere now, not that we were planning before, but it is doubly important to stay put.
The good thing was receiving a long email from my doctor talking of the virus in our country. We still only have 2 cases in Guanacaste. She believes if we continue to shelter in place for the next two to three weeks it will be enough to turn the tide in the infection rate. I was touched and grateful to see she's offering at home visits for those of us with preexisting conditions. I hope I don't have to take her up on that.

Comments