Who Was That Masked Ashhole?
A crazy day for one spent entirely at home. I have run out of tissues, but remembered I have another large Costco/Price Smart case stored in the guesthouse. Trying futilely not to touch my face except with a fresh tissue.
One thing I have noticed today, something that makes me happy I'm not posting much on social media. People are starting to just lose it. Example? One friend that is married to an Asian lady wants everyone to stop spouting racial remarks about Asians. Another friend went nuts on him, stomping around everywhere yelling about the horrible Chinese. I'm not getting involved, mostly because I would have to care more about the issue to jump in. I try not to say racist things, but I'm also not tasked to police force the entire world's emotions and interactions. They need to work it out, but I know I'm seeing fear turned in strange ways. It's a tense time. I hope they manage to come to some sort of agreement, and apologize. It's too heated right now.
Another reason to stay off line as much as possible.
Late this afternoon I had a pile of folks asking me about the masks I use for my asthma. It's too late. You cannot even backorder the professional grade filter masks. People also are busy talking of sewing splatter masks for the health care workers. I've shot a few of them down. Why? Because they, and most people, do not understand how the masks can help and can also spread the disease in those that don't understand the realities of masking.
Here's the issue with the handsewn splatter masks. They are made of one layer of thin, cheap cotton. Very porous, the virus is tiny enough to boogie right on through like it is not even there. Same thing with the thin paper masks. They offer very little in way of protection, you might as well wrap your face in a bandanna.
That's the problem with the nitrile gloves as well. They are more porous than you might think. Blood molecules are way bigger than the COVID 19. There is copious evidence at the NIH website explaining that they are not appropriate to use to in this virus pandemic. There is also lots of explaining how masks aren't necessarily the way to go in this thing.
The other issues with the gloves, the cheap thin masks and even a professional grade mask, is that most people do not understand how best to protect themselves. Incorrect usage can expose you just as much. The masks, like mine, that have six layers of fabric, medical grade blocking material and a filter, are only as good as the hygiene you practice. They have to be tight fitting. They should only be used once before being washed in a good strong antiseptic soap. If you are constantly pulling them on and off you risk spreading the germs collected on the outside to the inside of the mask, and breathe them in.
We argue and discuss many times on the Mast Cell illness boards about these masks. Even the good ones cannot possibly filter out every little thing. This virus is tiny, and can pass through many types of masks. Plus, the general public seems to rely almost solely on these things to protect them, getting sloppy in how they use them, counting on something you have to be vigilant in using to protect them.
By all means if you have a N95 or better mask use it. But use it according to directions. It's only as good as how you use it.
And those ubiquitous paper ones we keep seeing everywhere? Those are single use. If you wear one to go to the grocery store you should throw it away as soon as you are home. Same thing goes for the gloves.
I believe that my friend Cindy Kunsman will be doing very shortly a video on masking with her husband. I'll be posting the link up as soon as it drops.
Try to remain calm, and not get too bristly over things. It's just not worth it. Shelter in place.
It's so quiet here it's eerie. I am not hearing any noises at all, the bars are shut, and even the traffic on the two near by roads seems to be way off. Good. May this end quickly before cabin fever starts to get people.

Comments